Colorado Springs, USA, May 31, 2016 – The U.S. Men’s National Team will warm up for the FIVB World League with exhibition matches on June 4 and 6 in Havana, Cuba.
The U.S. men last played in Cuba in 1995 when they traveled to Havana for the World League.
Cuba were initially invited to train in the United States in June but the scheduling did not work out.
“I know the Cuba people are huge volleyball fans and wonderful supporters,” U.S. Head Coach John Speraw said. “I think we’ll have incredible crowds and the experience will be a great one for our team.”
The next chance to see the U.S. men play in the United States will be at the FIVB World League July 1-3 in Dallas.
The U.S. men played a Red/Blue intrasquad scrimmage on May 27 at Santiago Canyon in California.
Opposite Matt Anderson led his Blue Team to victory with 17 points on 14 kills, two blocks and one ace. He got backup from outside hitters Thomas Jaeschke and Reid Priddy. Priddy finished with 12 points on nine kills, two blocks and one ace. Jaeschke added 11 points on nine kills, one block and one ace.
Micah Christenson set for Anderson’s team while Max Holt played at one middle blocker spot and David Lee and Dan McDonnell split time at the other. Erik Shoji played libero.
The Red Team was paced by outside hitter Paul Lotman, who finished with 12 points on eight kills, three blocks and one ace. Opposite Murphy Troy added 11 points on 11 kills. Middle blocker Russell Holmes and outside hitter Garrett Muagututia each scored six points, including three blocks from Holmes. Middle blocker David Smith added five.
Dustin Watten played libero. Setter Kawika Shoji split time with James Shaw. Ben Patch and Kyle Russell also substituted at opposite for the Red Team.
No. Name (Position, Height, Hometown, College)
1. Matt Anderson (OH, 6-9, West Seneca, N.Y., Penn State)
4. David Lee (MB, 6-8, Alpine, Calif., Long Beach State)
6. Paul Lotman (OH, 6-7, Lakewood, Calif., Long Beach State)
7. Kawika Shoji (S, 6-3, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
8. Reid Priddy (OH, 6-4, Richmond, Va., Loyola Marymount)
9. Murphy Troy (Opp, 6-8, St. Louis, Mo., Southern California)
10. Thomas Jaeschke (OH, 6-6, Wheaton, Ill., Loyola of Chicago)
11. Micah Christenson (S, 6-6, Honolulu, Southern California)
12. Russell Holmes (MB, 6-8, Fountain Valley, Calif., BYU)
17. Max Holt (MB, 6-9, Cincinnati, Ohio, Penn State)
18. Garrett Muagututia (OH, 6-5, Oceanside, Calif., UCLA)
20. David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
21. Dustin Watten (L, 6-0, Long Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
22. Erik Shoji (L, 6-0, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
Head Coach: John Speraw
Assistant Coaches: Matt Fuerbringer and Mike Wall
Consultant Coach: Andrea Becker
Technical Coordinator: Nate Ngo
Athletic Trainer: Aaron Brock