Dallas, USA, July 2, 2016 - Two old volleyball acquaintances in the FIVB Volleyball World League will meet each other at the 2016 Group 1 tournament in USA with different goals. While Russia are struggling to qualify for the finals, Bulgaria are struggling for survival among the elite twelve teams.
• These nations will meet for the 20th time in the World League. Russia have won 15 of the previous 19 meetings. Bulgaria have won on four occasions.
• Russia have won 11 of their last 12 World League matches against Bulgaria and are unbeaten in their last six since a 3-1 defeat on 30 June 2011.
• Only on 28 July 1994, in the their first ever World League meeting, Russia failed to win a set against Bulgaria.
• Bulgaria suffered their eighth consecutive defeat in the World League when they lost 3-1 against United States on Friday.
• Bulgaria's last victory in the competition dates back to 10 July of last year, when they beat Belgium 3-1.
• Against the US, Tsvetan Sokolov led the way with 24 points (21 off spikes), ten more than his next most prolific teammate.
• Russia improved to four wins and three defeats on the season after coasting to a 3-0 victory against Australia on Friday.
• Five of the seven matches involving Russia this season have been decided in straight sets. None has been decided in five sets.
• Against Australia, Russia won nine points off their serve, with Lukas Divis contributing four aces.