Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 15, 2016 - USA and Argentina go face to face on the first day of the FIVB Volleyball World League 2016 Group 1 tournament in Brazil. USA are striving for their third title, while Argentina have yet to win a medal.
• Argentina and United States have faced each other twice in the World League, both in 2013. Each team won once, both by 3-1.
• Their most recent encounter came at the 2015 World Cup, with United States winning 3-1.
• These teams also met four times at the Olympic Games. United States won in 1984, 1988 and 1996, Argentina in 2000. Both teams have qualified for the tournament in Rio de Janeiro.
• Argentina will participate at the World League for the 18th time.
• Their best result was a fourth place in 2011. They reached the Final Four, but lost the semifinal against Brazil (3-0) and the third place match against Poland (3-0).
• Last year Argentina finished in 11th place. They reached the Final Four of Group 2, but lost their semifinal in straight sets to later overall World League winners France. They won the third place match against Belgium (3-2).
• United States will compete at the World League for the 19th time.
• They won the World League in 2008 and 2014, beating respectively Serbia and Brazil in the final.
• Last year, United States finished third. They lost the Group 1 semifinals against Serbia (3-2) but beat Poland in straight sets in the third place match.
• United States have reached the Final Four of the World League in three of their last four participations, only failing to do so in 2013 (12th).
• Their last seven matches in the World League have led to a different result: W-L-W-L-W-L-W.